Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Anyone ever feel like just "giving up"?

Oh my gosh...I am almost at my giving up point. We had a small bloody diaper yesterday. No way in hell it was from the 20 almonds I ate on Monday night (I'm adding tree-nuts back into my diet). I'm wondering if it was from the Bailey's I had (you know...those small four sips on Sunday). I just don't know anymore.

I'm going to be pumping during the day and giving Alexander the EBM in a bottle first and then putting him to the breast after since I'm not 100% convinced it's not having something to do with the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I feel like I'm not really any closer to him having normal diapers than I was 5 weeks ago.

I'm just tired of doing everything in my power to make him better and not really seeing these drastic results. I'm frustrated, angry, depressed, and like L&P...I'm starting to feel like I'm failing as a Mom because of this. I feel absolutley 100% guilty over the Bailey's on Sunday and cry everytime I think that his small bloody diaper last night was because of it. I'm scared to death again of changing his poopy diapers in fear that there's going to be more blood. The stupid nurse told me that he may not have the cottage cheese consistency yellow, seedy diapers like normal BF babies have because I'm not "getting everything in my diet" that normal BF mamas get. I don't know if I believe that really. I'm eating so healthy. I eat chicken, lean ground beef, turkey, fresh veggies, fruits, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc. How much healthier can you get? If anything...my child is getting more good nutrients/vitamins because of this diet than if he didn't have this MSPI. Before I wouldn't have even thought twice about McDonalds or eating a frozen pizza for dinner. Plus, I take 500mg of vegan calcium supplements in the AM and PM and I take my prenatal every night again (I don't think it was causing blood).

She said that they don't see green or yellow as any different either. WTF? So all the nursing websites/books that I've read up on are all wrong on this then?

What else can I do? Please share with me if you are having normal diapers again and what they look like (are they the cottage cheese consistency, yellow and seedy...watery, mucousy, etc.)

8 comments:

  1. ahw - we are all having such a hard time with this. :-( It seems like everyone's LO has different reactions so it is hard to offer up suggestions when you are dealing w/ different side effects.

    as far as diapers go, DD's have always been an orangey color. Pretty wet too. She has only had the occasional mucousy/green diaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That nurse has no idea what she's talking about. BFing women prior to processed, packaged foods ate fruits, veggies, grains, meats and dairy. These are the foods God intended us to eat. Your baby may not be getting milk, but as long as you are taking a calcium suppliment, you should be fine.

    Hang in there - I know it can be tough. Just remember that your milk is the best thing for your baby regardless of the diaper issues. Your health is also surely improving with your diet.

    And hypoallergenic formula is SO expensive. I would do anything to avoid resorting to that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I'm not sure what type of prenatal you are taking, but some have stool softeners in them and others have soy. That could be causing issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this is my first time commenting on your blog. My LO started having bloody diapers 3 weeks ago. When we went to the pedi, they suggested it might be a milk protein intolerance so I went off of dairy. A week later, we went back in. We hadn't seen any visible bloody for a few days so they told us to just keep an eye on it even though the diaper tested positive for blood. Well we hadn't seen any until two days ago, so now I feel like we're back to square one. It is so frustrating. I just realized that the granola bars I've been eating have milk in them. So I completely identify with your struggle. Thanks for sharing your experience. It is helpful to know that there are others going through the same difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hang in there! That nurse sounds like crap.
    DD's diaper are back to seedy/cottage cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went as far as calling the actual laboratory that makes my prenatals..no gluten, no dairy, no soy in my vitamins. There is a stool softener, but not a laxative in them. I even called Boars Head customer service to check if the turkey breast they sell has the allergens in them...nope, none! So it's not like I'm carelessly eating whatever I want. I'm a freak about what I put in my mouth (of course, except the stupid mistake with the Bailey's!). The stupid GI Nurse still hasn't called me back...ugh, I'm starting to get really annoyed with Children's Hospital right about now. Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending lots of supportive thoughts! This is SO hard and it's even worse when you aren't seeing the results that you hope for.

    I'm starting to worry that I'm not getting enough nutrients. I'm not taking a prenatal anymore b/c I worried about what was in it.
    Cassandra, what brand are yours?

    Has anyone read anything about Vitamin E causing issues in those allergic to soy? I read it somewhere on this blog:
    http://cookingallergyfree.blogspot.com/

    Then when I went to buy Rice Chex I saw it had Vitamin E added and listed next to it as Toph...something (I can't remember how to spell the word). On other cereals that had that toph word it had soy in parenthesis next to it. Anyone follow that? So, vitamin E may = this toph word = soy.

    I was so desperate to compare my DS's diapers to 'normal' looking BF baby poop diapers that I googled images of BF baby poop. Not kidding. I also attend a BF/new mom group and had the LC and other moms look at DS's diapers to see if they were 'normal'.

    Our pedi, nurse at the office, and the LC I see all said that neon green BF poop is OK. Seedy is better. DS's range from yellow, to orange, to bright green. Sometimes they are more seedy than others. Definitely not as seedy as they during his first 2 weeks of life (before we started seeing allergy symptoms). I think they worry more about texture like mucous than color - unless there is blood coloring it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My prenatal is Foltabs Prenatal with DHA.

    Oh boy about the Vitamin E. I will have to research that some more. Oh good gawd...I can't imagine. The vitamin supplement I'm giving to A (GI recommended) has vitamin E in it. Go figure. (oh, and now DS spits it out...nice since it stinks and is brown colored!)

    Good to know about bright green being okay. I thought my LC told me this, but couldn't remember for sure. It's amazing what we will do to make sure our LO's poo is "normal" LOL

    The GI nurse called me back...since the blood was so little, she said it was probably just remnants of something in my system since there's no surefire way to tell how long after you eat something it 100% takes to get to LO. So I'm thinking it was probably the Baileys. No more blood since then and it was so minor that I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

    :::running off to google images of baby poo:::

    ReplyDelete