Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekend Update

How was your weekend with LO? Are symptoms getting any better? Did you discover any new foods that you can eat? Please share!

Our weekend was stressful. My husband wanted me to start pumping and feeding EBM bottles until we got another bloody diaper....and I was about to do so until I asked the ladies on the Bump for advice. They basically said that all the bottles are doing (since we've had some luck with giving him 2 bottles in a row and then having awesome diapers) is that there's a better mixture of foremilk/hindmilk. So they suggested that I block nurse for 2 days and see if that helps. So, that's what I am currently doing.

But...it's up and down right now with it. We had some yellow diapers, but there was blood in them. So that's heartbreaking. Then last night we were back to green, no blood. Go figure!

I'm just glad that we see the GI pediatrician tomorrow and hopefully he can give me some answers. All in all...it's been 3 weeks now and there's no significant improvement with my DS. That just doesn't seem right.

I have discovered Jasmine Rice...I know, I know...doesn't seem like a huge thing - - but when you've been living off of plain white rice flavored with some pepper...anything with a bit of flavor is nice! Right now I have a stew in the crock pot for tonight's dinner: beef stew meat, red skin potatoes, onion, baby carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, water. Can't go wrong there, right? Hopefully it turns out...it's my first time with this recipe! Too bad I won't be able to sop up the juices with a big ol' hunk of buttered bread! Ah....bread & butter. I miss you :(

3 comments:

  1. Things are going well here. DD started having yellowish diapers this weekend, though most are still green. But now they are seedy and not diarrhea. We actually have just wet diapers instead of poo everytime. She's also been a happier baby. It had gotten to the point where she fussed a lot, but we got some interaction time and some good tummy time too! She also STTN! TWICE! At the doctor's today, they said she still had blood in her stool, but it's not visible. The Dr. said it could be there for a couple more weeks. So we go back at her 2 month checkup and will check her diapers again. But there was a definite improvement over last week.

    I found earth balance peanut butter that is soy free and soy free shortening (so I can make cookies!). A bumpie also suggested Enjoy Life cookies. I tried one and they are okay. If I need a chocolate fix, they will do the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when we thought things were getting better, they are worse. His diapers were orange but less mucousy last week. Now we're back to tinged with green and the orange juice looking diarrhea again.

    I've been dairy and soy free for a month. Soy oil and soy lecithin free for 2 weeks. I was hoping to see improvement and not a set back.

    I'm wondering if he's having a reaction to the eggs I've been eating. It would make sense since these diapers happened after I ate egg noodles and eggs over the course of 3 days prior to the diapers. Pedi doesn't think it's the eggs. We go for his 2 month check up on Friday and they said they'll discuss it with me then. Friday seems very far away.

    I still haven't found out if guar gum and xanthan gum are derived from soy or not.

    Also searching to see if caramel coloring is off limits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DS has been sleeping better since day 1 of dairy free, but still extremely fussy during the day. He did awesome on Saturday! I was so excited. He only fussed when it was naptime. He also did pretty good on Sunday, but did have 2 screaming spells. He is still sleeping so much better.

    I am just doing dairy free, and still eating soy. Here are some things I found: I did shake n bake chicken with noodles and put "homemade" spagetthi sauce over it all (kind of like chicken parmagan without cheese). My "homemade" sauce - I usually use Ragu traditional, but who knew it has milk in it. So I bought Ragu marinara sauce and added garlic salt, oregano, basil, pepper, and italian seasoning. It was a great meal. I also found I can eat Taco Bell tacos with no cheese - that is so great b/c Taco Bell is my favorite! For my chocolate fix I have been eating Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. Sometimes I mix them with pecans for a snack.

    ReplyDelete