Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let's Get Acquainted!

Since this is the first post - thought we should get acquainted with each other.

Please list your name (siggy name is okay as that's what we are used to!), how long since your little one was diagnosed, and any other information you would like to share.

Me: My name is Cassandra, or Cassandra1028 on the bump. My son was diagnosed a little more than a week ago, so we are in the beginning stages of this journey! Right now I am exclusively breast feeding and have gone on a dairy-free diet. I am thinking that in another week or so, I will try to reintroduce soy to see if he tolerates it okay.

My son was having green, mucousy, and bloody diapers and that is what prompted us to take him into the pediatrician's office. At first, the pedi just said that he must have a virus. I did some research and found a lot of information on www.kellymom.com and figured that I would keep the dairy protein allergy in the back of my head if the diapers continued. Well...they did and we went back to the pediatrician. Without my bringing it up, the pedi suggested that it very well could be MSPI. So here we are today - no cheese, no milk, no yogurt, no soy sauce, no "Cassandra foods" that I love so much! Hey - I'm a Wisconsin girl...us girls love our dairy! I fully intend to stay dairy-free for as long as I am breastfeeding (for a year or more yet!) and I hope to find some great recipes to help me eat something more exciting than the bland brown rice, veggies, and chicken or fish that I've been sticking to since this came about!

I look forward to getting to know the rest of you!

As far as the check-in goes - I would like to do a question of the day. Please share any ideas/questions/suggestions for the check-in as this is a blog for all of us! I hope you enjoy the site!

7 comments:

  1. Springpeeper here. Addy started having green, mucousy poops over the weekend and when I mentioned it at her 1 month appointment, the pedi mention it might be a dairy allergy. She gave me a list of foods just in case and told me to watch it and see if it improved. That afternoon, there was blood in the stool, I called them and was told to cut out dairy and return in a week (next monday). I miss pizza :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm the "newestmrsmason" on the Bump and I have a wonderful daughter that after 2 months and 1 week of life decided to start showing signs of milk protein sensitivities. I talked to her pedi about it, but since she didn't have any blood in her stool he didn't think it was a full allergy. (Her father is lactose intolerant so I think there may be a link there.) All I know is that I was not comfortable with pea green, mucousy stools. I've been milk protein free for almost a full week and like Cassandra I get excited about the yellow seedy or pasty poops then have my hopes crushed with the return of a green or mucousy stool.

    It sucks to not be able to have pizza, yogurt, milk chocolate, etc., but I am adjusting to being milk protein free. I have found that "keeping Kosher" (shopping in the Kosher aisle) has been helpful. Since DD doesn't show any reaction to soy (please God let it remain this way) I am still indulging in OREO cookies which are milk protein free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm leslie aka Leslienpete from the bump. DD was dx w/ dairy and soy intolerance about a week ago. I am really confused and still doing research because DD has never had a green or mucousy stool. Nor have I noticed blood in the stools. I initially took her to the pedi because of her nonstop fussiness and pulling away at the breast. After they checked her stool, they did find some blood in it and she was dx w/ the intolerance. I have been dairy/soy free since last week and we immediately noticed a change in her disposition the very next day. After another week or so I am going to see if I can introduce small amounts of soy or dairy (coffee cream) and see how she reacts.

    I am curious if anyone else was dx yet didn't have mucousy/green diapers? I'm wondering if we have a misdiagnosis here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndsay, aka LyndsayQ on the bump. DD has yet to be diagnosed with a dairy/soy allergy; however, both run in our family and she had all the classic signs. She's had constipation, painful gas, eczema, disrupted sleep, green/brown stool (no bloody stool), congestion, and reflux-like symptoms. My pedi is reluctant to diagnose b/c most babies grow out of it and it wasn't bothering her that much. Well I grew tired of waking several times/night just to comfort her from the pain. So I took it up on myself to eliminate dairy and its made a world of difference. I still eat soy and she seems Ok w/ it. DD is 2 days shy of 5 months old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. adamwife on the bump.

    My older son is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, peanuts, and tomatoes (we just discovered the last one yesterday). I am also soy intolerant and haven't eaten anything with soy for over a year now. I have tons of recipes if anyone wants them. My younger son seems to have a milk intolerance from my breastmilk. It's strange, because the older didn't react to foods I ate when BFing, only when he consumed them directly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Holly, holly423 on the bump. My DS was diagnosed on Wednesday with a milk allergy. He has be exclusively breast feed, but Tuesday I couldn't get enough milk pumped to leave with my Mom Wednesday. So, we decided to give him 2 bottles of formula. When I picked him up I noticed he was hot. I met DH at the grocery store and we noticed he was really red, so we took his blanket off. He just kept getting more and more red, but he was smiling. We went home and took his temperature, but it was fine. I called the pedi office and the on call doctor called me back and told us to go to the ER. They told us it was a milk allergy, but didn't give us any other information. I called my pedi yesterday and they told me to cut out all dairy. They said we would talk more about it at his next check up, but that isn't until 4 months. Until he had the formula I didn't know anything was wrong and I ate dairy all the time. After reading these posts though, DS has had green poop sometimes and he is really fussy, especially at night. I hope me cutting out dairy will make a difference. He is 10 weeks old today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joining in late here...
    I'm Christina617.
    DS's pedi thinks he has a milk & soy allergy/intolerance. It started as a lot of fussiness, gassiness, reflux symptoms, random congestion, and an open sore diaper rash. Then the mucous-y poop and rash on his face & chest started.

    I have been dairy free for 3 weeks. Almost completely soy free for 3 weeks too. I decided to eliminate some of the soy approved foods with soy oil and soy lecithin in them too when DS had a diarrhea and rash flare up. So I've been soy oil and soy lecithin free for 1 week.

    His stool sample tested mildly positive for blood this week. I think it's just taking time for his gut to heal.

    Most of his symptoms improved in the first 2 weeks of elimination. Now we're just waiting for his poop to go back to 'normal'.

    The diet has been tough but I REALLY want to make this work!

    ReplyDelete